Individuals across the U.S. are the most powerful force for charity. In 2013, individuals as a group were again by far the top givers in the U.S. — giving almost $292 billion (or 87%) of the total. This information is as reported in Giving USA 2014: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2013, a publication of Giving USA Foundation™. Total reported giving to charity was about $335.2 billion.
Put another way, individuals gave about $6.70 for every dollar given by corporations and foundations (excluding family foundations) combined. Here’s the breakdown:
- Individuals (direct) gave about $240.6 billion
- Individuals (bequests) gave about $27.7 billion
- Individuals (family foundations) gave about $23.4 billion.
- Foundations (excluding family foundations) gave about $25.6 billion.
- Corporations gave about $17.9 billion
The Giving USA Foundation has issued a free highlights summary and offers the full report for sale.