The Top Seven Charity Research Websites
Welcome. This is the podcast that helps you do good even better — regardless of which charities or causes you support.
This is Ed Long. In each podcast I talk about charities and provide actionable tips to help donors and volunteers to take their philanthropy to the next level and do good even better.
Give smart from your heart, because doing good matters.
- Today’s sponsor is the number 80.
- In 2013, 80% of all giving to charity went to five charity categories.
- Religion (31%) topped the list, followed by
- Education (16%)
- Human services (12%)
- Gifts to foundations (11%)
- Health (10%)
- This information is as reported in Giving USA 2014: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2013, a publication of Giving USA Foundation™. Total reported giving to charity was about $335.2 billion..
- Read more.
Main Topic: The Top Seven Charity Research Websites
- The free charity research websites provide a wealth of information.
- They’ll help you track down individual charities and view their operations and finances.
- You can check charity missions, programs, spending, assets, liabilities, staff and board, and much more.
- In the podcast I discussed the coverage provide and what the following seven sites do best,
- I’ve created a free one-page guide to the seven sites. When you join the SeriousGivers Community I’ll send the guide to you.
- Tip: Using a nonprofit’s EIN (employer identification number) is the fastest, most accurate way to do nonprofit and charity research. More about EINs.
- Your smart and easy assignment for today:
- Use just one of the sites to find out more about a charity you are interested in.
- IRS provides tips on deducting volunteer travel costs
- #1 You can’t deduct the value of your services. But you can deduct some out-of-pocket costs.
- Read more.
- New video shows how to value your used car in three minutes or less
Share your questions and feedback
I’d love to hear from you. I read every comment and email.
- Leave a voicemail at (424) 262-5280
- Use the reply / comment box below.
- Send me an email at ed[@]seriousgivers.org.
Listen each week, Subscribe
About Ed Long, the podcaster
Podcaster Ed Long has been preparing more than 40 years to do this podcast. He knows charities and the rules that apply to them. He’s analyzed charity finances and operations. He’s founded and run charities, and volunteered for them. He’s helped the public and law enforcement fight fake charities, and has served as a philanthropy educator and coach. Before all that he worked as a partner with a major Wall Street law firm. Ed is the founder and CEO of SeriousGivers, which itself is a charity. Ed knows the great work that strong charities can do with the resources entrusted to them, and is passionate about helping others find and support strong charities.